Looking for something?

Google

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Think Geek: Getting Things Done With Thinking Rock

I've been really preoccupied these days with a lot of tasks, thoughts, anxieties and it's all because in the next few days we'll be relocating to another part of the globe. Hence, it was so easy for me to lose a lot of sleep.


Doing something big like a move is really taxing. Every detail has to be carefully kept an eye on. Thought-provoking scenarios in your head kept replaying every minute of each day until the big day. Wouldn't it be nice if you can just sit for 15 minutes and be able to unload your thoughts--just any random thoughts that is boggling you? Would it be nice if there's one application that helps you manage your tasks more efficiently and more effectively?


That's exactly what I needed at this time when it's so easy for me to get lost in my own train of thoughts because of the many tasks that are set to be accomplished right before me prior to the big move.


Normally I would just gather all my colorful stick-ons and colored pens to lay out everything on paper to clear my head. But no, not this time. There are piles of stuff that I need to sort out and put in respective containers and the thought of having more paper to work on is just not appetizing to me at the moment. If only I can just do away with the paper thing and still be able to unload my thoughts, I'll be a happy camper.


With some stroke of luck though, something came to me at the right time. Didn't I tell you that to me del.icio.us is as good as yummy mmmmm! I visit the site quite often to view new postings of useful sites, being bookmarked by other del.icio.us users.


And there, I found this Thinking Rock software. It is a neat software written in Java that can run on several platforms like Linux, Macintosh, or Windows and is based on GTD(getting things done) methodology. It has a simple and user-friendly layout. It also comes with a guide on how the software works and it's free. Yes, you heard me right, it's free, but you have the option to give back to the site if you find the software useful.


I find it useful indeed. Why? Simply because it lets you organize your thoughts and be able to do something about it. It even includes a schematic diagram on the flow of processes after you enter your thoughts until the task is done or completed.


The good thing about the software is, it lets you just add any new thoughts whether you can act on it or not. If an action can be performed on it you can tick on a box just for that. It asks you for the outcome if the action is completed, and if the thought involves more than one action you can even start a project on it. It asks you how soon you want it done--ASAP or you can even set a date and time to have the action fulfilled.


In the end after you are being able to break down your thoughts, and dissect it into minute pieces, you will be presented with a quick list of things you need to do now based on your input. Right away you'll get a glimpse of the things that you can take action on, instead of worrying about the things that you still need to accomplish.


I tell you, I sat in front of my computer for only 15 minutes and the software already has freed my mind of a lot of anxieties about the big move. It gave me the feeling of being purged from anxious thoughts and worries about a big undertaking.


My description alone won't be enough to elaborate on the functionality and usability of the software. You've got to experience it yourself. Forget about your pen and paper for now. Let the geek in you experience something more technologically refined. And if you are thinking about procrastinating, you definitely have to get the software now. You'll thank me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Find it here